Many people are interested in answering the question: "What makes a great leader?". What would you answer that question? There are many lists of these exercises written by others. These are quotes from an article by Bill George's former chairman and CEO of Medtronic. According to him, the most important feature is to be yourself! As you will see many leadership leaders need a lot of self-knowledge. Big leaders know themselves so they can be themselves.
1. Truth "After years of leaders of leaders and their habits, I believe that leadership begins and ends with reliability."
2. Desire to serve others "Powerful leaders really want to serve others with their leadership."
3. Empowering People "They are more interested in strengthening the people they lead to make a difference than they are in power, money or opinion."
4. Guidance of Heart, Passion, and Compassion "They are governed by the characteristics of the heart, with passion and compassion, as they are with the mind's qualities."
5. Recognizing their faults "Good leaders use their natural abilities, but they also acknowledge their faults and work hard to overcome them."
6. Lead with Purpose "They result from purpose, meaning and value."
7. Build long lasting relationships "They build sustained relationships with people."
8. Clear where they stand "Others watch them because they know where they stand."
9. Refuse to compromise "When principals are tested, they refuse to compromise."
10. Developing oneself "Self-directed leaders are dedicated to evolving because they know that becoming a leader takes a lifetime of personal growth."